Megan’s Law Website
If a person is convicted of certain California sex crimes, they must register as a sex offender under Penal Code Section 290. This information is public through the “Megan’s law” website, and can be accessed by anyone.
The Megan’s Law website has three categories of sex offenders in its registry. The category a person is in depends upon the crime they were convicted of. The categories are:
- The complete home address category — for people convicted of the most serious sex offenses).
- The zip code category — for people convicted of less serious sex crime offenses, AND
- The undisclosed category — people who are not disclosed on the website (however, Sex Offender Registration is still required)
How to be Removed from the Megan’s Law Website
A defendant convicted of some sex offenses may qualify to have his information removed from the Megan’s Law Website. These offenses include
- Penal Code 243.4(a) — sexual battery by restraint,
- Penal Code 647.6 PC — misdemeanor child molestation
- Any offense which did not involve penetration or oral copulation, the victim of which was your child, stepchild, grandchild, or sibling and you have successfully completed…or are successfully completing…probation for the offense.
In order to be granted exclusion from the Megan’s Law Website, a person must submit a Megan’s Law exclusion form to the California Department of Justice. If a person qualifies for exclusion, the approval process takes approximately 30 days from the time you submit the application for exclusion until you receive a confirmation or rejection letter from the DOJ.
If your information is removed from Megan’s Law Website, it will stay removed unless you violate your probation with another sex offense or are convicted of another sex offense.
Contact Us Now
Schwartz & Naderi’s team of criminal defense attorneys has over 80 years of combined experience aggressively defending clients facing all types of sex-related charges, including all matters related to sex offender registration and Megan’s Law, and will strategize a vigorous defense from the moment of arrest until the completion of the case.